Thursday, May 5, 2011

Not So Thrilled With AT&T

I should be going for a walk with my children, but I'm so irritated after getting off the phone with AT&T that I had to blog about it.

In March I ordered DSL service through AT&T and was quoted a promotional price of $19.99 per month for 12 months. I was also told that they would mail me the modem, and I would install it myself so no service person was needed to come out there.

My irritation started with them charging me $75 for the modem and to overnight it. I don't know why I had to pay to have it over nighted since the modem arrived several days before my service was turned on. So that had me just slightly irritated.

Then a few days later (the day our service was to start), I got a message on my phone from an AT&T serviceman saying he was on his way to my house. I was surprised since I was told on the phone that no one had to come out to the house. But I figured he just needed to do something outside. Wrong. Soon he was ringing my doorbell and needed to come in. Well, when you have a newborn and a 2yr old it isn't always convenient for stangers to come inside your house on very short notice. Luckily my husband was there (but I ended up missing out on a much needed nap thanks to AT&T). So my irritation increased.

I should also mention that when I told the servieman that they told me on the phone that no one needed to come out here. He said that they don't know what they're talking about. He sure got that right!

I got the internet up and running along with the wireless, so that helped to ease the irritation since we'd been without home internet service for about 3 weeks.

Fast forward a few weeks when the first bill came. I was being charged $40 per month instead of the $19.99 rate I was quoted. Back came my irritation. I figured someone made a mistake and would call them about it. So I did, and after getting a big speech about how the customer service agent was going to make sure I was super satisfied, and would go to the ends of the earth to achieve this (I can't remember his exact words) was told that it takes 2-3 months for the promotional rate kicks in and that I should pay the $40 per month until it does. Then I'll be credited for the overages that I paid. *scoff* I said I wasn't going to do that, that I'd pay the rate I was quoted and they could make the adjustment on my bill. Mr. Satisfaction told me that if I did that I'd be charged late fees, so I'd better just pay the $40. Ha! So much for being satisfied.

It would've been nice for someone to have told me this when I ordered the service. I told him that this all sounded very shady and that I was sure it must be illegal to quote someone a price and then charge them double--conveniently omitting to tell them about the delay in accurate billing. Why the promotional price can't be billed immediately is beyond me. Maybe they are hoping I'll get so used to paying $40 that I'll forget that I'm only supposed to be paying half that.

So now I'm thinking I should just cancel with AT&T and get cable internet through Charter. But then I'd probably have to eat the cost of the modem that I paid $75 for. So I guess I'll just bitch and moan about my dissatisfaction here instead.

Okay, now that the sun has gone away and the clouds have come out, I guess it's time for that walk. *sigh*
I wasn't having a good day before all this, and it just seems to be getting worse. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment